I have the tail and the bra for the mermaid costume. Now, on to the head-gear. I had a costume tiara, and used that as a model for the mermaid crown. First, I cut a length of wire from a coat hanger and bent it into a sort of semi-circle. I cut a hair comb in half, and hot glued each half of the comb to one end of the wire.
Then I twisted some strands of pearls around the wire. Using hot glue, I tacked the pearls in place about every two inches along the length of the wire. (I just poked the tip of the gun in between the pearls and glorbed a whole bunch of glue out. Nothing too elegant or exact.)
Finally, I laid out the shells that I wanted. I took the main, center shell and while wearing the crown, held the shell in place in front of a mirror. The first one I chose turned out to be WAY too big, so I was really glad that I “mocked it up,” even a little, before actually gluing it on.
I’m very pleased with the results. There were a couple of other accessories that fell into place to make the costume complete.